Columbus Saints Drum and Bugle Corps
|File:Columbus saints logo.png|
Columbus Saints Performing Arts
|Type||Drum and Bugle Corps|
|Division||DCA Class A|
MACBDA Open Class
|Founded||Template:Start date and age|
|Founder and CEO||Marshall Cheatham|
|Executive Director||Le Ron Carlton|
|Uniform||Black Cadet Uniform, Maroon Cummerbund and Black Shako|
Columbus Saints Drum and Bugle Corps is an all-age drum and bugle corps based in Columbus, Ohio. The corps is a member of Drum Corps Associates (DCA), Small Drum Corps Association (SDCA) and Mid-America Competing Band Directors Association (MACBDA).
The corp also competes in Drum Corps International's SoundSport.
History[edit | edit source]
Founded as the Saints Drumline in 2003, the corps began as an after-school musical outlet for kids. In 2012, the drumline expanded into a drum and bugle corps using a stock of G major bugles.
The corps partnered with the Boys & Girls Club of Columbus in 2014 to provide free music programs for club members in the Franklinton neighborhood. The "BOOM" performance ensemble resulted from this partnership.
The Saints completed a one-year residency at Flex High School, a charter school supported by the United Way of Central Ohio, in 2017. The residency allowed the corps to offer performance opportunities to students. Later that year, the corps applied to compete as a member of Drum Corps Associates (DCA). After an evaluation by DCA board members, the corps was approved for competition in Class A in June 2018.
Beginning in 2019, the Columbus Saints was approved for competition in Drum Corps International's All Age Division, which allows the corps to perform at a greater number of shows closer to Ohio, where DCA adjudicated shows are scarce due to the geographic location of the majority of DCA member corps.
About[edit | edit source]
The corps is sponsored by the Saints Performing Arts, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization. Marshall Cheatham is the founder and CEO, and the LeRon Carlton is executive director of the Saints's programs including the corps.
Mission and traditions[edit | edit source]
The corps' mission is to inspire "excellence through teamwork, discipline, and creativity" through the "performing arts." The corps recites the "Saint's creed" to build morale and camaraderie prior to performances.
Show Summary (2014–19)[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Saints DCI Johnsonburg 2017.jpg
2017 DCI Johnsonburg
- Saints 2016 MACBDA 01.jpg
- Columbus saints winterguard 2016 flags.jpg
- Saints Drumline 2010.jpg
2010 Saints Drumline
References[edit | edit source]
- "Boys & Girls Clubs of Columbus Home". Boys & Girls Clubs of Columbus. Archived from the original on March 18, 2017. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- Peterfy, Geoffrey (2018-02-27). "GDM: Flex High School". WTTE. Retrieved 2018-09-28.
- "Saints Announce 2018 Programs & DCA Application | Columbus Saints". www.columbussaints.org. 2017-11-17. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- Auclair, Francois (2018-06-18). "Drum Corps Associates » Columbus Saints Join Class A in 2018". dcacorps.org. Retrieved 2018-09-28.
- "About Us". Saints Performing Arts Inc. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Home - Columbus Saints". www.columbussaints.org. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- "MACBDA for better bands". MACBDA for better bands. Retrieved 2018-09-28.
- "CompetitionSuite". recaps.competitionsuite.com. Retrieved 2018-09-28.